Mesoamerican Culture, History, and Religion

Danza Azteca — An Aztec Fire Dance

Got an important meeting tomorrow, so I can’t write a long post at this moment, but I do have a little something cool to make up for it. I love to hunt down videos of traditional Mesoamerican dance (danza Azteca, danza Chichimeca, etc.). I found a particularly good one on YouTube not long ago, and I thought I’d share it. It’s an Aztec dance that honors Xiuhtecuhtli, the Lord of Fire.

By the way, take a close look at the brazier that the lead danzante is dancing around — it’s in the shape of Huehueteotl the “Old, Old God,” the elderly guise of Xiuhtecuhtli. That’s an ancient style of making a brazier, and an appropriate choice — after all, part of Huehueteotl’s regalia is a brazier perched atop his head!

Advertisements

8 responses

1. Shock

You’ve got a wonderful blog going on here Cehuallil. This is sure to get attention. Good work, yet again!

April 17, 2008 at 8:50 PM

2. cehualli

Thanks Shock, I’m glad you’re enjoying my work so far! I hope you’re right, our community really needs to raise its profile. Incidentally, I’m already in the top 5 hits Google returns for the search string “Aztec Reconstructionism,” muahahaha.

Watch for more Danza videos in the future, too. I’m planning on doing a “Danza Video of the Week” feature as long as I can keep finding recordings of sufficient quality.

April 18, 2008 at 3:27 AM

• Sofia Sanchez

this is fantastic. when you do your videos please let me know.

October 1, 2013 at 5:09 PM

3. marco

do you know where you can get the headdress i want one for my senior project i want to do an aztec dance pleas reply

September 5, 2008 at 4:43 AM

4. cehualli

Hi Marco,

Sadly, I’m not sure where one would find such a thing, especially if you’re not in Mexico. I believe that many of the Danza groups either make their own regalia, or have having them created by specialists. I’ve come across a few places selling simplifed versions of the clothing, but never the headdresses.

I would recommend contacting some of the larger Danza organizations and asking them to advise you, I would expect they’d know how to go about acquiring what you’re looking for.

September 15, 2008 at 7:30 AM

5. Hello, My naame is Leeona. Friend and partner to Chief YaAnna Vera Rocha of the Shoshoni Gabrielino Nation and Spirit of the Sage Council. I need to contact Pastel or Pasquel from the Danza Azteca group in LA. If anyone knows him, please tell him Leeona, Vera’s friend from Sage Council needs to speak with him. EMERGENCY at Etiwanda Sage Fields. Please send people out to the land to stop the destruction on this sacred land. Leeona needs help. I’m working legal part right now, but I need his help to get people to stop the destruction of the sage. Thank you.

March 29, 2009 at 4:57 AM

6. Erika

Leeona,
    Have you gotten in touch with Pastel?

May 27, 2009 at 11:29 PM

7. Hello Erika,
    No, I haven’t been in touch with Pastel or Judith. I’ve been hoping someone here could help.

May 28, 2009 at 12:00 AM